Friday, November 20, 2015

Today At The Desk...


Today it was pretty routine at the desk.  It started out pretty slow as usual, which gave me a chance to get a lot of "housekeeping" done.  First I made sure all the displays were filled, then I went around and straightened and tightened up the shelves.  After that, a tech from the IT department came to upgrade our computer from Windows 8 to Windows 10, so since I couldn't do much at the desk without the computer, I used the time to sort and shelve a cartful of books.  One of the pages recently quit and the position hasn't been filled yet, so I'm happy to pitch in and do some of the shelving when I can.  While shelving, I came across the book I had been trying to remember either the author or title of so I could use it for an upcoming storytime, so it paid off for me as well.  I also withdrew a cartful of books that had been weeded and boxed them up to donate to the Friends bookstore.

During all this, there was a steady stream of patrons in and out and I helped several people with checkouts, placing holds, and finding materials.  I also got a chance to use my Spanish a little, with a very friendly little boy who gave me a huge smile and wave with an enthusiastic "Hola!"  to which I responded "Hola, como estas?"  but that was the extent of our conversation as he quickly became engrossed with the Lego blocks.  Then there was the little girl who would not stop growling and roaring and pretending to be a dinosaur after reading a dinosaur book.  I could sympathize with her mother, as it brought back memories of having to hide our video of The Lion King from my daughter when she was that age because she wouldn't stop running around the house and roaring like a lion all the time.

It got busy after school let out, and I finished off my shift by pulling all the books for holds and transfers, and taking them down to circulation.  Just as I was leaving my co-worker called my attention to a new book, Tough Guys (Have Feelings Too) by Keith Negley, which is perfect for my "Feelings" theme storytime next week, making it my second find of the afternoon.  I like how this book doesn't just describe different emotions, it makes it clear that it is okay to feel and express emotions, and I'm so glad it came in at just the right time for my program!

No comments:

Post a Comment