Saturday, December 2, 2017

Review: Out of Darkness

Out of Darkness Out of Darkness by Ashley Hope PĂ©rez
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was inpired to read this after hearing the author, Ashley Hope Perez, speak at a children's literature conference recently. Ms. Perez was an excellent speaker, and I really enjoyed hearing how her students inspired her to write, and I particularly found the story of the real-life historical catastrophe that provided the inspiration and backdrop for this particular book interesting. But, for someone who seems very energetic and upbeat in person, Ms. Perez certainly writes a very bleak story.

I honestly don't know how to rate this book. I mean, it was very well-written and a compelling read, but the ending was so horrific and bleak and disturbing, I almost hated the book afterward. I ended up giving it 3 stars as a compromise, but if I were to break it down, I would give it 4 stars for quality and 2 stars for whether I liked it and felt I would recommend it. I really *wanted* to like it after enjoying and being impressed by hearing the author speak, but I just don't do well with dark and disturbing.

Ms. Perez does an excellent job developing the characters and making you care about them, (view spoiler) Since the book starts off with the explosion of the school right away, and the racism of the time is obvious, the reader knows the whole time that the ending can't be good, but can't help but to keep reading because the developing relationships between Naomi, the kids, and Wash are so beautiful, despite the constant threat of Henry, the twins' moody and tortured father who seems like could have been a decent person under different circumstances, if he were just a little bit stronger. Though one can feel the tension building for a sad ending, it isn't exactly what you expect, and is perhaps even worse.

To be fair, there is nothing unrealistic about the fictious events, that are in perfect keeping with the racism and attrocities commited in that place and time. It is very sobering and thought-provoking, and I did appreciate the author's note at the end, describing how the story developed from the thoughts and questions that came to her as she learned more about the New London school explosion and surrounding culture and events. However, I honestly don't know who I would recommend this to, unless someone was specifically asking for historical fiction related to racism and related attrocities. The ending is so dark and almost hopeless I don't think it is a book that just anyone could handle, though I do know a few who love anything that is dark, disturbing and depressing. I would not recommend it for younger teens, but for older teens and adults, and only those prepared for how dark and disturbing it really is.

Ashley Hope Perez has written two previous YA novels that have a more contemporary setting, and I'm curious if they are just as dark and depressing, but I'm not sure I'm prepared to find out just yet. Maybe in the springtime when my mood isn't already so dreary...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment