Sunday, March 4, 2018

Review: Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was good, but it was really long! I was a little disappointed it is part of a series, because I would have liked to have a real ending after reading that much, and I likely won't have time to read the rest of the series. But for many who love getting into a series, that will be good news. Just know not to expect a true ending.

After it was named a Printz honor book and I discovered the main character was a librarian, I had to read it. Fantasy isn't my normal thing, but I know kids and teens love it, so I do try to read some. The writing is very lyrical and very descriptive, lots of metaphors and similies, but it really draws the reader into the sense of mysticism and "otherworldliness" that sets the scene for this whole story.

The main characters are very well-developed, and since much of the story takes place in their heads and in their dreams, the reader really feels that they get to know and care about them. I would recommend this for anyone, young adults and up, who enjoy fantasy and mysticism and escaping into other worlds. Fans of mythology and fairy tales would like this is well as it has much of the same feel. I would not recommend this to someone looking for a quick read! However, it would be great for spring break or summer reading, when one can really devote the time to becomming lost in a book.

Laini Taylor is also the author of the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment