Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Review: Short

Review of Short Short by Holly Goldberg Sloan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'd give this a 3-1/2 if I could. This book was okay, but did not quite live up to my expectations. I had seen it on a couple of lists of recommended middle-grade books, and was on the waiting list at my local library for longer than I had expected, so I was really expecting to be "wow'd" by this book and find it to be a must-read.

However, this was not the case. It was an enjoyable enough read, though it did drag at the beginning, but you wouldn't be missing anything if you didn't read it. It might be helpful for a child who has issues with their own height or physical characteristics, as Julia learns not to let her height (or lack thereof) define her, and even embraces her shortness by the end of the book. I also think it might be helpful for a child who has trouble "reading" people and picking up on both verbal and non-verbal cues, because Julia often explains her actions as a result of picking up on such cues.

So, in short, it's good enough to read, but not great enough to be a must-read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment