Saturday, February 10, 2018

Review: Princess Cora and the Crocodile

Princess Cora and the Crocodile Princess Cora and the Crocodile by Laura Amy Schlitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I normally don't review picture books and beginner chapter books on here, but I made an exception for this one since I've seen it tossed around as a potential award winner this year (we'll find out in a couple of days).

It is a cute enough story about a princess who is tired of having such a rigid, structured, life with everyone telling her what to do and having no fun or freedom to be herself. She writes a letter to her fairy Godmother, and the next day receives a mysterious package containing a crocodile who offers to eat everyone she's upset with. Instead, she has the crocodile take her place for the day, while she leaves the castle and does whatever she feels like for a a day. Upon her return, she finds the crocodile has made a mess of things, but this leads to her being able to finally communicate her feelings to her parents.

The story has a good message about finding your voice and learning to speak up for yourself. It is a cute enough story, the only negative was I thought the author dwelled a bit too long on the crocodile munching on the King's rear end. But I wasn't "wow-ed" by any means, so I would be suprised to see it as a Newberry honor book or medalist, but then again I often am, so we will see!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment