Saturday, February 10, 2018

Review: Real Friends

Real Friends Real Friends by Shannon Hale
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This semi-autobiographical graphic novel follows little Shannon from kindergarten through 5th grade, showing the trials and tribulations of making and maintaining friendships, particularly when you're a shy, sensitive type, as well as dealing with a mean older sibling. My little sister would probably say she could identify with young Shannon, especially having the mean big sister ;)

While this book has an important message about friendships, recognizing real friends from fake ones or "frenemies", how friendships change and people may come and go, and how it's better to be kind and be yourself than to be "in", I found the execution a little lacking. It just did not flow well at all to me, and I was tempted not to finish it, but pushed through knowing it wouldn't take very long. I've seen it mentioned as possibly being considered for a Newberry, and I can see that it might because of dealing with bullying, but I just find the writing lacking.

A good idea that probably would have benefitted from some serious editing and re-writing, but it could be particularly beneficial for some kids to read anyway. I still prefer Roller Girl and All's Faire In Middle School, however.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment