Thursday, January 24, 2019

Review: The Outsiders

The Outsiders The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really didn't want to read this book again, to be honest, but I had to for a YA Lit class. It's been so long, I couldn't remember exactly what happened and who died, but I knew it was sad and that somebody would die, so I had this sick feeling of impending doom the whole time I was reading it. I found it to be gut-wrenching and depressing, seeing how powerless people are to change their circumstances and are often stuck in a vicious cycle, just as many of the greasers were, but particularly Darry and Ponyboy, who were both very smart, athletically talented, not really interested in looking for violence or trouble, yet could not escape the pigeonhole they were placed in by society and poverty. I found it hard to have as much sympathy for the Socs, even though Hinton tried to show they had problems and sometimes felt as "stuck" themselves. Money may not buy happiness, but it definitely provides more choices.

When I first read this book, I found it hard to relate to. I grew up in a rural area where there was plenty of poverty, but no gangs and very little violence. Sure, an isolated fight might break out every now and then, but they weren't serious and quickly forgotten. Even though I was somewhat of an outsider, being a shy, smart newcomer moving into an area where most people's families had lived for generations and everyone knew everyone else and were related to half of them, I still didn't relate to being an Outsider to that degree. I may have felt a little left out, but never had to worry about being assulted just for being different. As an adult, I am able to look at it much less literally, and am much more able to relate to it in some ways, and of course we have much more and worse gang violence going on almost everywhere in today's society. I do sometimes feel like an outsider at work, where there is a definite and clear divide between full-timers with an MLS and part-timers without. I am friendly with several people at work, but not actually part of anyone's inner circle of friends. I can also relate to the feeling of being trapped or stuck, and not being able to make significant changes in your circumstances.

I think this feeling of being an outsider or feeling trapped in your particular "station" or circumstances in life is something many people can identify with to some degree at some point in their lives, and part of what keeps this book relevant. Gang violence is more widespread now than 50 years ago, so many more people can relate to that aspect now than before. I also think the quality writing and character development is another thing that contributes to its long relevance. Hinton really lets you get to know the characters, not just on the surface, but what they are really like, what they care about, what they dream about. We see their relationships with each other, and how even the violent street-toughened thugs that don't seem to care much about anything, including themselves, care about each other. The relationships among Ponyboy and his brothers are very touching, and Johnny's character just breaks your heart with all the abuse he's been through and the way he is described as looking like a small puppy that's been kicked too many times. We see that beneath the surface, there is some good in all of them. Hinton makes you care deeply about Johnny, just as his friends do, and about the Curtis brothers and what happens to them.

I have to say, I'm not sure exactly who I would recommend this to. While many teens could relate to feeling like outsider or powerless to change the direction of their lives, not everyone could handle how emotional and gut-wrenching it is. I do recall a patron once asking me for similar books, because she had two foster sons (biological brothers) who had been placed with her recently that were around 13-14 and had been through a lot and had read The Outsiders and really liked it and wanted more books by Hinton as well as anything similarly gritty because it was something they related to.

I was first exposed to The Outsiders at a very young age; our teacher read it to us in 5th grade, which I now find rather shocking as I would not typcially recommend it for kids that young. I think it's a bit too heavy and emotional and has too much violence and other mature content (drinking, smoking) for a 10 year old, and as I said, I did not find the content or themes at all relatable at that age, and just took it very literally. I don't think many parents would want 10-year olds reading it, either. I know I was not happy when my son's 5th grade teacher gave him The Hunger Games (great book, but not for a 10 year-old, in my opinion). I would feel more comfortable suggesting this book for ages 13 and up, though there are always exceptions.

I am just amazed and impressed that this was written by a teenager! I did not realize that until a few years ago, and always assumed it was written by someone much older, and male. I can't imagine would it would be like to be just 20 years old and have not only written a book, but had it published, and had everyone talking about it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment