Monday, January 7, 2019

Review: This Book is Gay

This Book is Gay This Book is Gay by James Dawson
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I am hesitant to give this book a rating or a real review as I am not the intended audience of teenage/young adults who are questioning whether they might be LGTBQ, or adjusting to the realization that they are. I am middle-aged and straight, though I do have an adult child who is gay. So, I'll just share a few thoughts and concerns, rather than a true review.

As an adult, I found the breezy writing style a bit irritating after a while, and hard to take seriously. But, that's probably what would make a teen more comfortable reading it. I do think the author tries a little too hard to be funny, and I wish they had backed up their opinions with some research, in addition to the testimonials from teens. Also, at almost 5 years old now it is a bit dated, and I think there are some cultural/language differences between the UK and the USA that can cause some confusion.

I did like how a lot of basic information was presented that teens might be embarrassed to ask about, like gay sex, having babies, and emphasizing safe sex, and that there was a glossary and list of other sources of information and support. I really liked how the overall message was very positive, supportive, and affirming....basically "you do you, and that's great!"

I do think that even though the book tries to be inclusive, it is really more geared for those who are definitely male or definitely female, interested in sexual relationships, and gay. As the author states, his "experience as a gay, white man is not representative of every gay man, let alone the thousands of gay women, bisexual men and women, and trans people...." Non-binary genders and those who are asexual are not really addressed.

Which brings my to my final concern. In the quote above, the author clearly identifies himself as a "gay, white man", and is putting himself in the position of mentor and advisor to teens who are questioning their identity and orientation. Yet, as I was about to write this non-review, I discovered that just a year after this book was published, the author announced they were actually trans and would now live as a woman named Juno.

So, I can't help but question the validity of a book written to supposedly help questionning teens figure their shit out, when clearly the author had not figured their own shit out yet, and what's worse, did not even own up to their own clearly continued questionning and/or possible fear of living openly as their true identity. Yes, some or most of the information is still useful, but there is a lack of honesty and self-awareness there that I find troubling from someone putting themselves in a position to have potentially significant influence over teens.

Given that, I would imagine that in the last 4-5 years other books have been published that might be better, more inclusive, more representative of current affairs and viewpoints, and more honest and forthright.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment